2013-03-08

2008 Schug Carneros Pinot Noir

Picked up this bottle from my local wine store yesterday. I love picking up random American wine. It's like rolling the dice. It could either be a great wine or it could be a fake, overoaked fruit bomb. Reading the back label before opening the wine was very promising. It says " The Schug familly is dedicated to producing wine in the European style".

Don't get me wrong, I am all for terroir. I do not want California wines to taste like Bordeaux. But to me, over oaked and over extracted wines is not the terroir from California.

Tasting note on the 2008 Schug Carneros Pinot Noir
Tasting note on the 2008 Schug Carneros Pinot Noir

The nose shows oak, ripe fruit and a note that to me can best be described as a soapy character. One thing is to say about this wine, and that is that the palate sure follows up on the nose. It's to me very oaky, soapy and with ripe fruit. The finnish is quite long, but has some green cherries and burnt rubber. This is Soap Wood City USA. 81 points

After tasting a wine I don't like I am always excited to look on cellartracker to see what other think of it. This wine has a 87.4 average score, one has even scored this wine 93. There is one who has scored it 75 though, I think my palate is more in line with her/him. So, this is just one of those wines you either hate or love. I didn't like it at all. Not the worst wine ever, but there is so much wine out there that tastes better.

No comments:

Post a Comment