2012-10-12

2006 Wynns Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon

This is a wine I bought based on reviews I've read on this wine. Jancis Robinson gave it 17 points, James Halliday gave it 95, Jeremy Oliver 93 and it has a current ranking of 89 on CellarTracker. Given the pricepoint (I gave $19 pr bottle) of this wine I bought 8 bottles of the wine.

The Wynns winery is based in the Coonawarra region in South Australia. The wine is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon and has 14% alcohol.

Tasting note for the 2006 Wynns Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon
Tasting note for the 2006 Wynns Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon

It has a good nose with dark berries, plum and oak, but there are hints of some alcohol showing. On the palate there's a nice licquorise flavour and good acidity. The fruit flavours are black, with blackberries, blackcurrants and plum. There is also some dirt flavours. There is a good grip from the tannins on the finish telling that this wine has more years to go. It is actually too oaky for me at this stage though. 87- points

Right after pouring this wine I got more read fruit on the palate and it showed less oak. The oak is bothering me with this wine. Maybe I'm just supersensitive to new oak, because 17 points from Jancis is a pretty high score. After drinking this I went to check out the oak use on this. I found out that they used 43% new oak, 31% 1 year old oak and 26% 2 year old oak or older. 43% new oak is pretty aggressive, and for me at this stage, shows too much.

I'm going to sit on the rest of the bottles and see how they develop. There are some great flavours in this wine. It is not over-the-top, but actually very balanced (except from the oak).


No comments:

Post a Comment