2012-11-01

2009 Chateau Mercier Cuvée Traditionnelle

It's autumn and it's getting colder and darker. You can't find a better excuse from drinking some red vino. The chosen one for the occasion is a cheap Bordeaux from the 2009 vintage. Chateau Mercier is an estate on the right bank, situated in the Côtes de Bourg appelation. The 2009 Chateau Mercier Cuvée Traditionnelle is a blend of 55% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Cabernet Franc. The label on the bottle says there is 14,5% alcohol.

Tasting note for the 2009 Chateau Mercier Cuvée Traditionnelle
Tasting note for the 2009 Chateau Mercier Cuvée Traditionnelle

The nose is dominated by dark cherries and blackberries. I also feel some alcohol comming through on the nose. The palate offers dark cherries, blackberries and some dry plum. The finnish has a decent length with a very dominate vegetal tone and some heat on the back end. 85 points

This isn't a bad Bordeaux considering the price,  but the vegetal component on the end is what really takes this down from a 88-89 point wine to a 85 point wine for me.

Btw, I threw away the bottle of 2009 Couly-Dutheil la Baronnie Madeleine Chinon last night. It had been standing on my kitchen counter over the night. I took a last sip of the wine and the vegetal notes were more integrated and not bothering.. It had actually developed into a nice wine. I have some more of the wine in my cellar. Maybe I should give them 5 years and see how they turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment