2013-02-12

2008 Renato Ratti Barolo Marcenasco

I did a tasting note on the 2007 Renato Ratti Barolo Marcenasco not that long ago which I liked very much. The great thing about that wine was how accessible and elegant it was even at its young age. That is not always the case for Barolos, but is one of the things that I like about the 2007 vintage in Piedmont. Given my experience with the 07 I was superexcited to try the 08 version.

Tasting note on the 2008 Renato Ratti Barolo Marcenasco
Tasting note on the 2008 Renato Ratti Barolo Marcenasco

Promising nose with floral notes, liquorice, dry plum and some oak On the palate, after little air, it shows a darker side than the 2007 version. There is leather, tar, rosepedals, dry plum. The tannins are big and dry and not too well integrated. Good length

I had to give the rest of the wine a couple of hours in decanter and the mouthfel got better. Roses, dried fruit and minerality. Finishes with roses and chocolate. It opens up a bit, shows more fruit and elegance. The tannins are still big, but havee gotten a bit smoother. If you have some of these wines in the cellar I would wait until 2017 before I open the next one. 90 points after some air

Given time to develop, I do think this wine can come up to the level of the 2007. I do not agree with Antonio Galloni who says this about the 2008 "The 2008 Barolo Marcenasco is a pretty, up-front Barolo that is best enjoyed for its exuberant, open personality." "With time in the glass the wine shows signs of increasing finesse, but I would still suggest drinking it sooner rather than later. Anticipated maturity: 2014-2018". I have to say I agree more with The International Wine Cellar which writes "Distinctly younger today than the 2007 version and tighter on the back end, with somewhat tougher tannins. This will need patience."


No comments:

Post a Comment