2013-02-05

2010 Ridge Estate Chardonnay

I tasted a Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon not that long ago and I posted the tasting note on this blog. Due to the fact that I really liked the cab, I kindof had some hope for their Chardonnay as well. In general, I have not had a lot of California Chardonnays that I have really liked. They do tend to be a bit heavy on the palate for me in general, and don't get me started on the masochistic use  of new oak.

In 2010, Ridge did not make a Monte Bello Chardonnay as well. This means that all the good juice went into their redular Chardonnay. According to their website, the wine has seen 10% new, 11% one year old, 15% two year old, 64% three and four year old oak. 88% air dried american oak, 12% french oak.

Tasting note for the 2010 Ridge Estate Chardonnay
 Tasting note for the 2010 Ridge Estate Chardonnay

 The nose is somewhat toned down and I don't get much. This might be more due to the fact that I gave it little air before tasting the wine than this wine really being aromatically challenged. On the palate I get apples, spicy flavours, citrus and vanilla. The wine has almost an oily texture on the palate. Heavy. The finnish has almost a red Burgundy component to it. There are som red cherry flavours here. Then the finnish turns into minerals and apples. Nice length and good acidity. The oak is there, but it's nicely integrated. 89 points

This Chardonnay is a bit too far on the heavy side for my palate. I like them a bit crispen and leaner. That said, I can really see some people loving it. It has some cool fruit flavours and nice acidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment