2012-09-21

2009 Domaine Pavelot (Jean-Marc et Hugues) Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Gravains

It's tough to be a wine rookie. Every day i read about wines that I must buy or the vintage of the century. I don't know if it's just luck that I got into wine exactly at the time where all vintages from the major European wine countries are great, or if this is just how the wine industry works; the next vintage is always the wine of the century?

So, even though I'm new in the game, it's been impossible to not hear/read all the hype about the red 09's and 10's from Burgundy. Until now, I haven't been drinking a lot of red Burgs, but recently I've bought some village and premier cru wines from both 09 and 10. I want to taste some of them before they go to sleep and wake up again in 5-10 years (I don't have the experience with Burgs going to sleep and getting tight, but I've read about it so I guess it's true).

Tasting note on the 2009 Domaine Pavelot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Gravains
The tasting note:
Strawberries, cherries and some alcohol on the nose. The strawberries and cherries are also found on the palate. Full bodied. Ends with a nice acidity, cherries and a fist of dirt. Nicely balanced wine. 91 points

This is probably not a wine for the hardcore burgundy fans. It's ripe, which i guess is because 09 was a warm vintage, but I like it. It's got lots of fruit. Again, as I write this, I feel that I scored this wine a bit too high. It's good, but it lack a bit complexity and finesse. If I'd score it again i would probably be more 89-90 points.

Check it out on:
Wine-Searcher
Woodland Hills Wine Company

No comments:

Post a Comment